Love is all around

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Searching for ways to make a positive contribution?

I guess most of us think from time to time about doing more for the ones around, especially for the ones less fortunate...maybe in hope for a better society around (a utopia, some may say), or maybe in a conscious desire to satisfy a superior need: the one to contribute and to help.

But also often we find ourselves trapped in excuses for not following this thought to the end and make it real... making a little bit extra than our job requires us to: not enough time, not having a framework at hand, not knowing where to start or what to focus on, planning to do it tomorrow, and so on.

Having these challenges or patterns in mind, as I experienced them myself, I would like to express my sincere admiration for a group of people that managed to take forward an idea and make it happen...I'm talking about the FOR Children initiative (www.iforchildren.org) that encourages individuals and organizations to support projects in Romania dedicated to children with different needs.

They already managed to get their first in-kind donation - several computers for partner organizations in Romania; it seems that these will reach Romania before Christmas! They also have 20 people signed in to become an Ambassador, by encouraging other to make a difference...

As I personally cannot involve anymore directly in the management of this initiative by moving to Romania, I decided at least to support it by being an Ambassador myself and I guess writing about it is another way to recommend it to you:)

Maybe we all have to learn that sometimes bringing a positive contribution is actually easier than we thought...

1 Comments:

  • At 8:01 am, Blogger Scott Clark said…

    Geta - I will have to agree about the challenges finding ways to make a positive contribution. I have found it difficult to find solid organized charities with strong ties to the US where I am located. As with anywhere when giving donations accross many miles, one wonders how much get to the people that really need it. I would be interested in hearing more of your stories about FOR children initiative in Romania. By the way I can see what great things that AIESEC is doing and it certainly is help build great leaders accross the globe. Thanks, Scott

     

Post a Comment

<< Home